Not my thoughts – from Disciples are Made Not Born by Walter A. Henrichsen
“Make Disciples” is the mandate of the Master (MT 28:18-20). We may ignore it, but we cannot evade it. – My own question – do we/I think discipleship is just the “leaders” job or do we as it states here – it is to be done by every believer through mentorship, through small groups, etc.
What qualifies one as a faithful man (II Tim 2:2)?
- He has adopted as his objective in life the same objective God sets forth in Scripture (Mt 6:33 – his righteousness and kingdom)
- He is willing to pay any price to have the will of God fulfilled in his life (II Tim 2:3-4 – willing to endure hardship – not distracted by the world – possessions, is there anything between you and God – “all that you hold dear to yourself – your family, your health, your dreams, your aspirations and goals – must be held with an open hand. He must be free to do with you and take from you as He pleases”.
- They has a love for the Word of God – am I growing in the Word? Am I hungry for it? Do I crave it? –
- They have a servant’s heart – The disciple-maker seeks to invest his life in another to help that person accomplish his own vision.(Matthew 20:26-28 )
- They put no confidence in the flesh. (II Cor 1:9 and Romans 7:18 )
- They do not have an independent spirit – there is no room for if it isn’t done my way then it won’t get done.
- They have a love for people – “to be like God to love people, because God loves people.” The faitful person has a love for people. –
- They do not allow to become trappe in bitterness – the root of bitterness can come through a competitive spirit, a breakdown in communications between you and fellow Christians, or from feeling that you have gotten a raw deal. Faithful Christians guard their hearts well in this critical area. (Hebrews 12:15)
- They have learned to discipline his life. – Am I willing to give up anything to grow closer to Christ? I Cor 9:24-27).
Part 1 of a many day series about discipleship that I have been learning through the last three years..